Here are some other resources that may be helpful for owners of blind horses.
Articles on Blind Horses:
- Management of Blind Horses. Written by Dr. Ann Dwyer, a New York equine veterinarian, this is a chapter from the latest (third) edition of the book Equine Ophthalmology. Posted with permission from the publisher. This chapter is the most comprehensive and authoritative source of information on caring for blind horses.
- Leading the Blind. An excellent and very informative article by Laura Hillenbrand in Equus magazine. A must-read if you have a blind horse.
Books on Equine Ophthalmology:
- Equine Ophthalmology, by Brian C. Gilger (Third Edition.)
- Ophthalmology for the Equine Practitioner, by Dennis E. Brooks
Equine Eye Issues:
- “What’s in an equine eye exam?,” by Erica Larson in The Horse magazine.
- “Diagnosing, treating and managing equine recurrent uveitis,” by Erica Larson in The Horse magazine.
Additional Eye Information:
- American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists
- Equine Ophthalmology Service, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University
- Ophthalmology Service of the University of Florida’s College of Veterinary Medicine
A Blind Horse Sanctuary:
Another Website on Blind Horse Care:
Blindhorsecare.org, created by Susan Straumann who owned a blind horse named TJ.